Sickle cell anemia
The main sufferings of a patient with sickle cell anemia are severe painful attacks, facilitated only by the use of narcotic medications, which quickly leads to pharmacological addiction; over time, attacks of circulatory disorders due to permanent thrombosis and reactive changes in the bone marrow, lead to damage to the bone skeleton, joints, functions of vital organs (liver, pancreas, kidneys, spleen), and, as a result, early disability and death.
The main tragedy of this disease is the lack of effective treatments; since the main cause of the disease is a genetic defect in hemoglobin – replacement of glutamine by valine – which leads to a complex cascade of physico-chemical changes in hemoglobin and red blood cells, the main of which are the violation of key functions:
- Oxygen transfer – oxygen starvation, which leads to acidification of the environment and severe pain;
- Red blood cell form change – vascular occlusion, aggravation of the problem;
- Damage of the blood supply of the vital organs – liver, pancreas, kidney – the development of failure;
- Compensatory increase in the bone marrow – disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
- Obviously, the genetic root causes of the disease indicate that effective treatment methods will be developed only with the advent of genetic therapy, and now the use of fetal stem cells is the only effective treatment for sickle cell anemia, allowing to compensate for the disease and achieve remission from one to several years, decrease in the use of narcotic analgesics, time of stay in a hospital and increase in life expectancy.
The course of treatment, which includes full examination of the state of target organs and intravenous infusion of fetal stem cells, is 3 days.
We recommend to visit the warm season (April-October), as the cold provokes hemolytic crises with painful attacks !!!