Symptoms of MS:
- blurred vision
- numbness of the hands / feet
- weakness and tingling in the extremities
- sudden tottering and impossibility to walk even 10 meters without holding on to anything.
How Is Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosed
Usually the first symptoms occur at the age from 20 to 40 years. Rather rarely people older than 50 years have this illness.
In most of cases at the initial stages everything is much more difficult. The doctor should speak with patient very carefully and objectively about his present state of health and about how has the illness been developing.
After that the doctor should make a comprehensive neurological examination, after which it will be possible to determine what examinations need to be done.
As a rule, they are:
- MRI of main brain and spinal cord;
- sometimes necessary to do electroneuromyography (ENMG);
- electroencephalography (EEG);
- lumbar puncture.
As a rule, these examinations are enough for the doctor to confirm a diagnosis, every person is individual and needs an individual approach.
What Is The Cause Of Multiple Sclerosis
The causes of multiple sclerosis are unknown.
The following factors are possible:
- Viral infections in childhood or adulthood.
- Toxic effect on organism.
- Autoimmune processes.
- Genetic predisposition (many researcher show that the risk of multiple sclerosis in siblings is 1 of 20, and for twins 1 of 4)
- The combination of above mentioned.
Is Multiple Sclerosis Genetic?
“Genetic predisposition (many researcher show that the risk of multiple sclerosis in siblings is 1 of 20, and for twins 1 of 4)”
How Can MS Be Cured?
Unfortunately, at the moment there is no magic pill that could completely cure the multiple sclerosis.
The treatment can be divided into 2 big categories:
- The first is designed to reduce the activity of already existing symptoms (steroid hormones). This category of drugs reduces the aggressive influence of the immune system on the nerve fiber, thereby reducing the activity of already existing symptoms.
- The second should prevent the appearance of new symptoms in the future (interferons). These drugs normalize the body processes that allows to reduce the amount of recrudescence in the future.
- However, there is a third group of treating influences, which can effect two categories (stem cells). These drugs allow not only to reduce the aggression of body toward the nerves, but also to stimulate the recovery of already damaged nerves.
In the Medical centre “Institute of family medicine “PLUS” we use the complex approach to the patient’s treatment with the diagnosis multiple sclerosis. This complex approach is aimed not only to treatment of main disease, but also on improving the related problems (sleep, urination, depression).
Be in good health!